Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Duck Walking

Hiking like a mad man since big bear, the past few days have been a completely different experience than my first three weeks. This is the first time I've been around other other thru hikers on the trail. I shared a frosty canp with Joe and alex twenty miles out of Big Bear and have been bumping into them ever since. Barring the third day hiking with another thru named Pat and some sectioners I could count on one hand the number of people I've seen on the trail and all were dayhikers. Having people around makes the hiking a little less of a slog by helping me pace and shoot for not too distant goals. What I am praying for is a cute girl doing 25 miles a day to follow. This tactic works great during tough runs or races by the way, just make sure you have enough in the tank to let loose and beat her on the last mile.
As for the title of the post, I have walked the last 60 miles since big bear on what feels like a broken foot. Not being able to put pressure on my heel gives me the gait of a wobbly duck. Vitamin I has been saving the day, but I don't know how much longer my liver can hold out. Fingers crossed, it is just a bone bruise or sore ligament and heals quickly.
I hobbled up to the amazing deep creek hot springs this morning. Barring a family across the river,which was too cold for them to cross, I had the place to myself. I had only budgeted an hour but ended up staying over two when a guy in his birthday suit and his girlfriend, who sadly wasn't, emerged from a tent I wasn't sure was inhabited.  The hot springs were clear and warmer than most hot tubs I've been in. You never know what the trail brings and that was bliss.




3 comments:

  1. Dan

    I'm loving the pics man, keep 'em coming. I'm jealous as shit you get to see all of these cool places. I definitely want in on the next trip. Hope your foot heals quick.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping it's not broken. Thanks for the pics! I love you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous of the hot spring!

    Shout out a thanks to Alex.

    ReplyDelete