Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tough Days Part 2

The trail always crosses interstates at the most inconspicuous of places. Picture a wet and dirty underpass a hobo would think twice about sleeping in and you'll get the idea. I did not originally intend to stop at I-15 except for maybe some nasty McDonald's and a cold drink but I knew I might start thinking about quitting altogether if I kept pushing my foot.
I had been hiking off and on with two hikers Joe and Alex since Big Bear. Alex had told me earlier that he lived in the area and would be taking a few days off when he got to cajon pass. I gave him a call after wolfing down 20 chicken nuggets and for cups of HI-C, and the for the next day and half Alex and his family made the nicest gesture I have received on the the trail. His family welcomed me with a place to sleep, delicious burgers, and a bone chilling but healing ice bath.
To make sure nothing was seriously injured with my foot Alex graciously gave me a ride to a clinic. Limping into the clinic I drew plenty of stares with my trekking pole cane. Almost the instant the doctor saw my feet he said I would need to stay off my feet for at least two weeks. I told him that wouldn't be an option and he just kept giving me looks reserved only for the dumbest of dumb. He shuffled me over to the x-ray technician, who chewed my ear off about Tebow because of my Florida hat. I tried to carry on the conversation but I was more concerned with him making sure my foot would be okay than Tebow's wonder. My expression imeadiately eased into a big smile when the doc came back with good news, only a few bone bruises and severely sprained tendons. He tried to make it sound as grave as possible so I would heed his earlier two week advice but he could tell it was no use. As he wrote a script for antibiotics I tried to convince him I wasn't some crazy idiot, telling him that many have done this before, but my words fell on already decided ears.


I was able to rest my foot the next day at Alex's parents house. They are the kindest of people, my feet and I would like to thank all of the Zinda's for helping me out so much.





 Water Source?

San Gorgonio and Jacinto in the background

2 comments: